History of Events 2005-2017
ITEA Conference and School have for almost 15 years, starting 2005-2006, brought together researchers and students from around the world in all aspects of transportation economics, including infrastructure and spatial development. The Conference and School have consistently brought together the most advanced research in transportation economics from around the world.
ITEA Conference, previously Kuhmo Nectar Conference of ITEA, is the successor of two highly successful series of conferences: the original Kuhmo Nectar Conference and the International Conference on Funding Transportation Infrastructure. These two series, which have consistently brought together the most advanced research in transport economics from around the world, have now merged into the single conference organized by ITEA.
The original Kuhmo Nectar series of conferences started in the town of Kuhmo, Finland, in 2005, organized by Esko and Anita Niskanen. This was followed by conferences in Helsinki in 2006, Urbino (Italy) 2007, Amsterdam 2008, Copenhagen 2009, Valencia 2010, Stockholm 2011, Berlin 2012, Chicago 2013, Toulouse 2014, Oslo 2015, Santiago (Chile) 2016, Barcelona 2017, and Hong Kong 2018.
The International Conference of Funding Transportation Infrastructure began in Banff (Canada) 2006, followed by Leuven 2007; Paris 2008; and Minneapolis 2009. Starting in 2010, this conference merged into the Kuhmo Nectar series.
ITEA School offers a high-quality program covering recent advances in transportation and urban economics and is targeted to PhD students, practitioners, and practicing researchers from related fields. The School has been highly successful in attracting young researchers from around the world.
ITEA School, originally Kuhmo Nectar Summer School, started in Helsinki in 2006. This was followed by schools in Urbino (Italy) 2007, Amsterdam 2008, Copenhagen 2009, Valencia 2010, Stockholm 2011, Berlin 2012, Chicago 2013, Toulouse 2014, Oslo 2015, Santiago (Chile) 2016, and Barcelona 2017. The venue in 2018 was in Hong Kong, and in 2019 it will be in Paris.
The local organizers for ITEA Conference and School since 2006 have been:
- Staresearch, Finland, in 2006
- University of Urbino, in 2007
- VU University of Amsterdam, in 2008
- TU University of Copenhagen, in 2009
- University of Valencia, in 2010
- Centre for Transport Studies of the Royal Institute of Technology (Stockholm), in 2011
- German Institute for Economic Research (DIW) in Berlin and the Technical University of Berlin, in 2012
- Transportation Center at Northwestern University, in 2013
- Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) at the Université Toulouse 1 Capitole, Toulouse, with the support of Institut D’Economie Industrielle (IDEI), in 2014
- Institute of Transport Economics — Norwegian Centre for Transport Research (TOI), in collaboration with the Department of Economics at the University of Oslo (UiO), in 2015
- Faculty of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Universidad de Chile in Santiago, Chile, in 2016
- Institut dEconomia de Barcelona (IEB) at the Faculty of Economics and Business of Universitat de Barcelona, in 2017